What are Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma in Dubai, UAE?
Sjögren’s Syndrome is an autoimmune disorder primarily affecting moisture-producing glands, causing dry mouth and eyes. Scleroderma is a rare autoimmune disease leading to skin and tissue hardening. Both conditions have complex causes involving genetics, environment, and hormones.
At HBGMC, we provide advanced care for these conditions. Our expert team offers personalized treatment plans, cutting-edge diagnostics, and a multidisciplinary approach to manage symptoms and enhance the quality of life for patients with Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma.
Sjogren,s syndrome may occur on its own (primary Sjogren,s syndrome) or in association with another autoimmune rheumatic disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma or systemic lupus erythematosus (secondary Sjogren’s syndrome).
Table of contents
Sjögren's Syndrome and Scleroderma in Dubai, UAE Causes
The causes of Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma remain enigmatic, but ongoing research suggests that a combination of genetic, environmental, and hormonal factors may be at play. HBGMC, recognizes the complexity of these autoimmune diseases and is dedicated to unravelling their mysteries for better patient care.
- Genetic Predisposition: HBGMC acknowledges that genetic predisposition plays a pivotal role in developing Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma. Individuals with a family history of autoimmune diseases, including these conditions, face an elevated risk. Our experts understand that this genetic link underscores the need for comprehensive family medical history assessments, aiding in early detection and proactive management for our patients.
- Environmental Triggers: Environmental factors, such as infections and exposure to toxins, are believed to trigger autoimmune responses in individuals with a genetic predisposition. At HBGMC, we appreciate the intricate interplay between genetics and the environment in the context of autoimmune diseases. Our research and diagnostics consider potential environmental triggers to provide holistic care and mitigate their impact.
- Hormonal Factors: Hormonal fluctuations, particularly in women during events like pregnancy or menopause, are associated with an increased risk of Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma. HBGMC acknowledges the role of hormones in influencing the immune system’s function, potentially contributing to the onset or exacerbation of these autoimmune conditions. Our specialists consider hormonal factors in developing personalized treatment plans for patients, recognizing the importance of a multidisciplinary approach.
At HBGMC, we strive to be at the forefront of autoimmune disease research and care. By understanding and addressing the complex interplay between genetics, environment, and hormonal changes, we aim to provide our patients with the most advanced and effective treatments.
Sjögren's Syndrome and Scleroderma Signs and Symptoms
Recognizing the signs and symptoms of Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma is crucial for early diagnosis and treatment. Here’s what to look out for:
- Dry mouth and eyes
- Difficulty swallowing and speaking
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Skin rashes
- Vaginal dryness (in women)
- Persistent dry cough
- Skin thickening and tightness
- Raynaud’s phenomenon (colour changes in fingers and toes)
- Gastrointestinal problems (acid reflux, difficulty swallowing)
- Shortness of breath
- Kidney, heart, or lung involvement in severe cases
Sjögren's Syndrome and Scleroderma in Dubai, UAE Diagnosis
Accurate diagnosis of Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma is essential for effective management. We employ state-of-the-art diagnostic tools and a team of experienced specialists to ensure accurate assessment.
- Physical Examination and Assessment of Symptoms: Experienced physicians at HBGMC conduct a thorough physical examination, identifying hallmark symptoms such as dry mouth, eyes, and joint pain. They also assess for other signs of the condition, like skin rashes and persistent dry cough.
- Blood Tests to Check for Specific Antibodies: Blood tests are crucial in diagnosing Sjögren’s Syndrome. HBGMC, utilizes advanced laboratory facilities to detect specific antibodies associated with the condition, such as anti-SSA (Ro) and anti-SSB (La).
- Eye and Mouth Tests to Measure Dryness: HBGMC employs specialized tests to objectively measure the severity of dryness in the eyes and mouth. These tests may include Schirmer’s test for eye dryness and salivary flow rate assessments for dry mouth.
- Imaging Studies to Assess Organ Involvement: Scleroderma can affect internal organs and the digestive system. HBGMC utilizes advanced imaging technologies and provides access to X-rays and CT scans to assess the extent of organ involvement and monitor disease progression.
- Biopsy of Salivary Glands in Some Cases: In certain cases, when the diagnosis remains inconclusive or when confirming the presence of Sjögren’s Syndrome is essential, HBGMC may recommend a minor procedure called a salivary gland biopsy. This biopsy involves removing a small piece of salivary gland tissue for examination under a microscope.
Sjögren's Syndrome and Scleroderma Treatment in Dubai, UAE by HBGMC
HBGMC is committed to providing the highest quality care and treatment for Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma Treatment in Dubai, UAE.
For Sjögren’s Syndrome:
- Moisturizing Therapies and Artificial Tears: We recognize the importance of alleviating the discomfort caused by dry eyes and mouth. Our specialists recommend and provide access to moisturizing therapies and artificial tears to relieve dryness and improve overall comfort.
- Medications: In Sjögren’s Syndrome with systemic involvement, doctors may prescribe medications to mitigate joint pain, skin rashes, and other systemic disease manifestations.
- Immunosuppressive Drugs for Severe Cases: Immunosuppressive drugs may be considered for individuals with severe or rapidly progressing Sjögren’s Syndrome. These medications help modulate the immune system’s response to reduce inflammation and preserve organ function.
- Pain Management and Physical Therapy: Joint pain is a common symptom of Sjögren’s Syndrome. HBGMC offers comprehensive pain management strategies, including medications and physical therapy, to enhance joint flexibility and reduce discomfort.
- Medications: HBGMC’s rheumatologists and dermatologists employ a range of medications to manage Scleroderma symptoms and slow down the progression of the disease. These medications may include immunosuppressants and anti-inflammatory drugs to improve blood circulation.
- Physical Therapy to Maintain Joint Flexibility: Scleroderma can lead to joint stiffness and limited mobility. HBGMC, provides tailored physical therapy programs to maintain joint flexibility, enhance muscle strength, and improve overall mobility.
- Treatment of Specific Organ Complications: Scleroderma can affect various organs, including the heart, lungs, and kidneys. HBGMC offers specialized treatments and interventions to address specific organ complications, such as pulmonary rehabilitation, cardiac care, and nephrology services.
- Lifestyle Modifications and Counseling: Coping with Scleroderma’s emotional and psychological impact is integral to comprehensive care. HBGMC provides counselling and support services to help patients and their families manage the emotional challenges associated with the disease. Additionally, lifestyle modifications and guidance are offered to enhance overall well-being.
HBGMC’s commitment to a multidisciplinary approach ensures that patients with Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma receive personalized care that addresses their unique needs. Our main goal is to manage symptoms and enhance the overall quality of life for people with complex autoimmune conditions.
Why Should You Book an Appointment with HBGMC?
Choosing HBGMC for the diagnosis and treatment of Sjögren’s Syndrome and Scleroderma Treatment in Dubai, UAE offers several advantages:
- Expertise: HBGMC, boasts a team of highly skilled specialists in autoimmune diseases who stay at the forefront of medical advancements.
- Advanced Technology: Our centre has state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment facilities, ensuring accurate assessments and effective care.
- Comprehensive Care: We provide holistic care, addressing not only the physical symptoms but also patients’ emotional and psychological well-being.
- Personalized Treatment: Every patient is unique, and our experts tailor treatment plans to meet individual needs, ensuring the best possible outcomes.
- Cutting-edge Research: HBGMC is actively involved in research and clinical trials, allowing patients access to the latest therapies and breakthroughs in autoimmune disease treatment.