Gout Treatment in Dubai, UAE
Gout, a debilitating form of arthritis, is a significant global health concern, impacting millions worldwide. This painful condition leads to inflammation and potential long-term complications if left untreated. Managing gout and its associated challenges requires specialized care and expertise, and one of the leading healthcare institutions at the forefront of providing comprehensive and advanced treatment for gout patients is the HBGMC.
Table of contents
What Causes of Gout Treatment in Dubai, UAE?
Excess uric acid, produced when the body breaks down purines in food and the body, causes gout. The kidneys and urine are how the body gets rid of uric acid. However, when there is an excess of uric acid synthesis or the kidneys cannot remove it efficiently, an accumulation of uric acid in the bloodstream can cause gout attacks and needle-like crystals to form in joints.
Diet plays a crucial role in causing gout to develop. Foods high in purines and some alcoholic beverages can raise the body’s uric acid levels. Obesity, heredity, specific medical diseases (including diabetes and kidney illness), and particular drugs are other gout risk factors.
Who Gets Gout Treatment in dubai, UAE?
Gout is often associated with specific risk factors. While it can affect people of all ages and genders, men are more prone to develop gout, especially as they age. Women become more susceptible after menopause. People with a family history of gout have a higher chance of developing the condition. Lifestyle factors like a diet high in purines, excessive alcohol consumption, and being overweight contribute to the likelihood of gout onset.
What are the Signs of an Attack of Gout?
Gout attacks are known for their sudden and intense pain. Typically, a gout attack occurs without warning and often strikes in the middle of the night. The damaged joint, commonly the big toe, becomes red, swollen, and excruciatingly painful. Even the weight of a bedsheet can be uncomfortable, and the agony is sometimes characterised as terrible.
Gout can also affect other joints besides the big toe, including the ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, and fingers. Gout attacks can last many days to weeks, and the pain can be so bad that it makes walking around and doing daily tasks difficult.
What Happens if the Disease is Not Treated?
If left untreated, gout can lead to several complications, including:
- Recurrent Gout Attacks: Untreated gout tends to result in more frequent and severe attacks over time.
- Joint Damage: The uric acid crystals accumulating in the joints can cause permanent damage if gout is not managed correctly. Chronic pain and limited mobility can result from this.
- Tophi: In advanced cases, uric acid crystals, known as tophi, can form nodules under the skin. These tophi can cause disfigurement and lead to joint and tissue damage.
- Kidney Stones: Accumulation of uric acid crystals in the kidneys can cause excruciatingly painful kidney stones.
Gout Diagnosis in Dubai, UAE at HBGMC
Diagnosing gout involves a combination of clinical evaluation, medical history review, and laboratory tests. At HBGMC, we usually:
- Evaluate Symptoms: They will assess your symptoms, including joint pain, swelling, and redness.
- Medical History: They will review your medical history, including any family history of gout or other related conditions.
- Physical Examination: A physical exam may be done to detect signs of gout, including joint swelling.
- Blood Tests: Blood tests can measure uric acid levels in your blood. However, it’s important to note that elevated uric acid levels alone do not confirm gout.
- Joint Aspiration: To definitively diagnose gout, a healthcare provider may perform a joint aspiration, where a sample of synovial fluid is drawn from the affected joint and examined under a microscope for the presence of uric acid crystals.
What is the Gout Treatment in Dubai, UAE?
Treatment for gout by HBGMC, aims to alleviate pain during attacks, prevent future attacks, and manage underlying causes such as high uric acid levels. The approach to gout treatment often includes the following:
- Medications: Gout medications may include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to relieve pain and inflammation during attacks, corticosteroids for more severe cases, and medications to lower uric acid levels.
- Lifestyle Changes: Patients are encouraged to make dietary changes by avoiding purine-rich foods and limiting alcohol consumption. Keeping a balanced weight and ensuring proper hydration also benefit one’s well-being.
- Joint Rest and Elevation: During a gout attack, resting and elevating the affected joint can reduce pain and swelling.
- Cold Compresses: To alleviate pain and inflammation, applying cold compresses to the affected region can be beneficial.
- Long-Term Management: Long-term management may involve ongoing medications to lower uric acid levels for individuals with recurrent gout attacks or those at high risk of complications.
Diet & Gout
Managing gout heavily relies on one’s diet. Here are some dietary recommendations to help prevent gout attacks:
- Limit Purine-rich Foods: Reduce the consumption of red meat, organ meats (e.g., liver, kidney), seafood (e.g., anchovies, sardines), and foods and beverages high in fructose (e.g., sugary soft drinks).
- Increase Low-Fat Dairy: Incorporating low-fat dairy products such as milk and yogurt into your diet can assist in reducing uric acid levels.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking ample amounts of water as it aids in getting rid of surplus uric acid from the body.
- Moderate Alcohol: Limit alcohol intake, especially beer and hard liquor, as they can increase uric acid production and decrease its elimination.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Excess body weight can contribute to higher uric acid levels, so maintaining a healthy weight is essential.
In conclusion, gout is undeniably a painful and disruptive condition, but it’s crucial to emphasize that there is hope for those affected by it. With the proper management and treatment, individuals suffering from gout can significantly enhance their quality of life while minimizing the likelihood of severe complications. HBGMC, is a prominent symbol of hope for individuals battling gout, offering a wealth of expertise, advanced treatment options, and a patient-centred approach to care. If you are looking for Ultrasound for Arthritis Diagnosis in Dubai, UAE then you must visit HGBMC